My promise to you

I will LISTEN to your concerns and thoughts; I will LEARN from you and what you have to say; I will ACT on your behalf.

Sunday 22 July 2012

Road safety & Biomass

How has your week been? Mine hasn't been too bad at all. Dominating my political world has been the issues of Biomass and Road Safety. In a break from tradition this week I have decided to let you read both of my responses to recent events - both submitted to the Daily Echo...

Road Safety

I came into politics to make my community a better place and make my city the premier place to be that it deserves. On the back of considerable hard work and support from colleagues, friends and family, I know find myself in charge of a £66million department covering everything from highways to waste collection to crematoria.

And so when a Government report examines our services and it comes up short, the Council will take the necessary action required. The recent examination of children’s safeguarding in the city is a clear example where new political focus is desperately needed. I am more than happy to investigate where our services fall short and mitigate those causes as much as is practicable.

Our city was recently criticised on its road safety record by the Transport Select Committee.  Criticised for a 17% improvement in road safety. Now I like statistics as much as the next person, but context is vitally important. If we were not moving forward or even declining, then I would not be writing this letter. I like you would be demanding to know why our city was failing. 

However, with the Olympics upon us, the example I would give is that of world class runner Usain Bolt.  His speed now is not much better than it was 4 years ago at Beijing. Probably much less than 17% better. Meanwhile other across the world sprinters have improved a great deal. By the same process in which our city has been judged, that would make Usain Bolt is one of the worst performing sprinters at the Games!

We can all be grateful that since the 1970’s we have seen a marked and constant reduction in the numbers of fatalities on the roads of Southampton. Road safety schemes have played their part alongside other factors such as lower levels of drink-driving and vast improvements to the vehicle design. Southampton was one of the first councils to use data-led intelligence to address casualties. This meant a high level of reduction in the first few years, particularly by improving junctions and areas where there was an identifiable casualty issue. Now those sorts of remedies are getting harder to come by. In the main, we are now dealing with road user behaviour which is much harder to address.

The real message is not about league tables or statistics. It is that with each life lost, each person seriously injured, any accident on our roads and pavements leaves behind a number of scars across the lives of loved ones. It is the responsibility of your council to work with partners to keep you safe. But, you and I as individuals have a most important part to play in road safety too.


Biomass

It seems like such a long time ago making my first public speech to the assembled residents on the issue of a biomass power station. Two things struck me on that evening at Freemantle School; it heralded a convergence of political views against Helius proposals and local people felt angry enough to take a stand against what they thought was wrong.

The first round of consultation saw Helius torn apart during their attempts at “consultation”. They discovered individuals working together making a real difference. And so to round two, with a shiny new PR machine in tow. Still the same issues permeate; still too close, still too big, still not green and still not wanted!

Councillors working in the background, through a change of administration, continue to support the community. There is now talk of No Southampton Biomass becoming a formalised group with elected members and a bank account to build a fighting fund. A fantastic step in the right direction and something I would very much encourage.

As a local Millbrook Councillor I will continue to support my community through this difficult time. As Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport I promise council expertise available to anyone who wishes to respond to the consultation and beyond. At this stage it is not a legal battle; we have nationally recognised planning expertise within the Council and it is this expertise which will prove invaluable over the next few months. We need the community and officers to work closely to defend their city. Something which for a variety of reasons hasn’t happened to date.

It is disappointing that the Government has rejected the practical option of holding the preferendum on the same day as the Police and Crime Commissioner elections. We would have to employ our own poll clerks and have our own polling stations. I am hopeful that common sense prevails and the Minister concerned does the right thing.

We want to put Southampton back on the map for leading innovation, not building an eyesore in the heart of our city. I challenge Eric Pickles and Ed Davey, the Ministers who will ultimately make the decision; What will they decide if the good people of Millbrook and Freemantle say no to Government interference? No to a huge biomass power station? But yes to local decision making…


Meeting the Olympic Flame at Southampton Airport,
with my brother Stuart

And last but not least, if you have an android samrt phone, please check out a new app which has been worked up. SCC Reminder is a new direction for the council and something which I heartily recommend you try. As well as news releases, it will also remind you when and which bins are going to be collected. I've downloaded it and would encourage you to do the same. AND please give use some feedback on it!

P.s. Out and about in Maybush yesterday - was told to Shhhhh after I mentioned the glorious weather - didn't want to scare it away!

3 comments:

  1. I think the work done on the road was excellent, people are too quick to criticise but actually you are one of the first politicians to be honest and in this day and age that counts. I'd much rather vote for someone who keeps me abreast of things, than for someone with a hidden agenda. You are MP material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more, Cllr Thorpe's blog demonstrates his commitment to our fair city of Southampton. Well done!

      Delete
  2. Thank you very much for the humbling comments.

    ReplyDelete