My promise to you

I will LISTEN to your concerns and thoughts; I will LEARN from you and what you have to say; I will ACT on your behalf.

Sunday 15 July 2012

Quite a busy week

Sometimes people say that politicians don't work hard enough. And I know it’s not very British of someone to blow their own trumpet, so it’s a fine line to say that this week has seen a considerable number of hours put into being your representative to the best of my ability. Also it would be remiss of me not to say hello to all those opposition parties who also now read my blog! Hello Jezza, Stevie G and Stevie P.

Monday saw me meet with the Southampton Action for Access group. Their aim is to make our city more accessible for those with reduced mobility. I was pleased to say that their secretary was pushing against an open door when I told him that the critical friend work which his organisation undertakes would costs thousands of pounds for consultants to undertaken. Happy to try and get issues sorted, especially if their common sense.

The way we run our portfolios at the Council is to have a Cabinet member and a policy team. Councillors Furnell, Jeffrey and Whitbread keep me in line and let me know when I should step away from my more radical ideas and when I need to step up my game to stop becoming beige. The challenge is to not become captured by routine and to keep challenging the status quo.

A shot from our Group meeting

Didnt have time to go home on Monday as we went straight into a Labour Group meeting. The short of it was that a. I got home at twenty to eleven and b. We were all discusted with whichever coward let down the workers and families of Oaklands. You shouldn't hear that your job is at risk from the radio or local rag. I know the pain and humiliation of being told you're no longer wanted by your employer. That feeling is still very raw.

On Tuesday I met with a representative of the Bedford Place Traders Association. We discussed my predecessors idea of having 10 minutes free parking in the area. Interesting way of implementing the policy - apparently only for on street parking officers now wait ten minutes before giving you a ticket, rather than five. Not exactly ten minutes leisurely shopping. As you know, I am leading a review of car parking, both residential and commercial - and I hope we can be more formal yet more innovative in our policy - interestingly a policy which has not been updated since 2008.

Also in the news this week was the state of the Roadworks on Millbrook Road. Suffice to say that when I drove on the Road and saw that two lanes of traffic were closed, heading out of the city, when the work needing that closure had been completed – a robust case was put forward to the contractors...

This was my second apology of the week on the subject: "There's no easy way of saying this, but these works were always going to cause delays for motorists. Road safety is our main concern and we had a window of opportunity to replace the crash barriers. This work needed doing and doing urgently before someone got seriously hurt. I apologise again for the delays caused and thank motorists for their patience over the last week.”

Set out below is a response from a member of the public on the Daily Echo website on the subject. Classic. Do you know what... Some people are never happy!!! I bet if the road works had finished late people would be on here moaning about that too. At least this politician has admitted the work needed doing, apologised for it taking place and then told the people of Southampton they finished early!”

Just some of our vehicles out the back of the City depot

Wednesday was a busy day. To Dock Gate 20 Depot at just gone six in the morning to talk to our Bin Men. For those who think that we were behind the strikes last summer, then I would ask that you speak to a crowded room of burly blokes. The room was tense and you could quite rightly feel the anger in the room. The welcome was robust. However, I think that it was to be expected and it could've been a lot worse. At least I have the minerals to go to the depot and speak to the men. We discussed pensions, parking and remuneration. With the support of our Union colleagues, I am hopeful that we can move forward, together on all three.

A seret room in the depot. Don't touch the red button...

Just a quick shoutout for an App which has quietly been launched - SCC Reminder - its a trial app for your Smartphone. It sends bin reminders and other news which comes from my portfolio. It’s about time we joined the 21st century. My feeling is better to have tried and failed that to have never tried at all.

Full Council was a trying meeting, but actually the Labour Group put in a great performance. Sadly, because of the new roles which all sides find themselves on, it is very punch and judy in the main. And happy to say that if the opposition can't put a proper question together, then it gets treated with the contempt with which it was created. As such I don't think the other side like my exacting answers to the specific questions they ask. Hey ho. As long as people in Millbrook still like me!

There were some excellent maiden speeches including new Shirley Councillor Mark Challoner putting a very senior Conservative in his place over the concept of justice; and a heartfelt sadness shown by new Coxford Councillor Sally Spicer over the Oakland’s Pool. On that subject, I didn’t become involved in politics to close services and offer people a worse lot in life. This is where we find ourselves. We don't think that this is the only option and I will explore all alternatives to see what can be done. Suffice to say that years of neglect have taken their toll and we cannot continue to lose money at the rate we have been.

Biomass was also on the cards at the meeting. I am proud to say that Millbrook Councillor, Dave Furnell’s motion was eventually supported by the whole council. I look forward to having a preferendum in both Freemantle and Millbrook. However, as the Government is saying that we can't piggyback on the back of staff during the police election in November, the cost would rise from £5k to £45k. So much for making localism work. I can only hope our Leaders discussion with the Minister concerned goes well. Same old Tories though - say one thing and in reality...

On the way home, myself and Dave dropped into the Maybush Triangle Residents Association. Great to see so many residents taking a stand on local issues. And I hope to be able to help them in the near future on some of their important concerns.

Suffice to say that it was another long day where I didn’t get to see my daughter awake. But then this is the job I signed up for?

 How did this find its way into our room? tee hee.

Friday was spent catching up with the rest of my Cabinet colleagues; reflecting on the past week and looking ahead to some of the challenges facing us in closing a reoccurring £25 million funding gap. One of my more interesting ideas is to charge Councillors for their parking. Currently our staff have to pay to do their job. Councillors do not. Fair? So I'm exploring the idea. It's early days, will ruffle quite a few feathers, but is the kind of thinking that needs to permeate councillors and officers alike.

2 comments:

  1. You and your administration are doing a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Putting Millbrook on the map in it's rightful place in the fair City of Southampton, Asa!

    ReplyDelete