My promise to you

I will LISTEN to your concerns and thoughts; I will LEARN from you and what you have to say; I will ACT on your behalf.

Sunday 8 July 2012

Its all about perception

Morning campers! Another great British summer...at least they've got a roof on Wimbledon at last. Usually one to stick my neck out - but don't ask me to predict the Murray final.

Its been a week of headlines in our local rag; but then I suppose its not surprising that the headlines are less than favourable; A. the first cabinet not to have a biography story in the paper,  B. Its been suggested that the former leader and editor met weekly for "luncheon", and C. I would'nt expect many favourable headlines given the fact that members of Southampton labour have sued the paper on 4 separate occaisions. How to make friends and influence people, eh?

On a personal note, I understand that some readers of the blog are perhaps looking into it a little bit too much at times. I've always said that I'll be honest with you - but sometimes the written word doesnt do a subject justice. if there are any issues which you'd like to raise, please feel free to email me or phone me. I'm not going to bite anyones head off. Politics is two way, and if I've got something wrong or a sentence is written a bit too open ended, I'm always happy to provide clarity.

The sad situation with the proposed closure of Oaklands Pool. What can I say other than I wish we were not being put in this position. With a huge subsidy required every year the financial challenge is huge; currently estimated at £10 per swim. I understand why our local Coxford councillors are upset - but I do find it sad that the opposition find the need to make this issue a political football. After years of neglect and cutting of maintenance, it doesnt surprise me that we are where we are. They had the chance to "save" the pool when they outsourced most of our citys leisure facilities - they chose not to outsource it, but rather spend money getting other assets up to spec before handing them over. Its the staff who I feel sorry for; but at least its not P45 time yet. These are proposals, and we will work with Unions and other parties if they have any kind of alternative available - additionally it will allow for staff to retrain through our Solent Redeployment model. The easy choices have been taken.

The Millbrook Road has been another topic of conversation this week. The approach I took was that there were a number of lessons which needed to be learned from the Council and its contractors. I, like you, was very disappointed to be sat in traffic for a considerable amount of time some time before rush hour. It was disappointing that I couldnt see any contractors about either - I know they were waiting for concrete to set, but you can appreciate that on a drive home of 40 minutes, the perception of not seeing any workmen knocking about was disappointing. Again, this was another issue that could have been dealt with some months ago - but then all of the easy decsisions have been taken. There are going to be more tough choices for us as a council to make and us as reisdents and workers of Southampton to suffer. But I will be honest and open with you. Also, what I hope was refreshing was that I came out very early and apologised for the hassle the works caused. It should've been handled better by your council.

Lucky old cruise ship getting a great view of scrap heaps, salt mountains, pylons
 - and thats before Helius has their say 

I also attended the Biomass demonstration this week. A good turnout with representation from numerous Labour Councillors and even a Conservative Councillor and candidate too! I thought it best to take a back seat at the event and only really speak until spoken too. Wouldnt want to be accused again of politising this exceptionally political issue. Suffice to say that I was really pleased that the news came out that Councillor Dave Furnell was proposing a public vote to be trialled in the two wards most affected by the proposals. I know that the powerstation will affect many more people, but at this stage we want to trial it - the first referendum in the country held under the new localism act and a real challenge to how seriously the Coalition will take local choice. But jumping the gun, lets see if Councillor Furnells proposal passes AND what the good people of Millbrook and Freemantle vote for.

We're not going to get everything right, but we will listen to what you the people have to say. Rather than just playing silly buggers and slinging mud or calling names, come and talk to us - work with us - the door is open and we're ready to listen.

Profiteroles - get me!

Saturday was my fifth wedding anniversary. It was a great day. Not surprised that it rained, as its rained every anniversary since we were married! But the old addage is true; it really does go by in the blink of an eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment