My promise to you

I will LISTEN to your concerns and thoughts; I will LEARN from you and what you have to say; I will ACT on your behalf.

Sunday 29 July 2012

Sunshine and showers

Well it must be about eleven weeks since we formed the new administration of the council. It's been one heck of a learning curve and I would describe it very much as sunshine and showers; no one enters into politics to close public services, well no Labour member does. What makes us strong is what also others perceive as weakness. We are a broad church of beliefs, from those in the old school leftist mold to those more like Blair Babes. The trick is allowing everyone to feel as though they have had an input into the decisions made.

My team of Councillors, Furnell (Millbrook), Whitbread (Redbridge) and Jeffery (Sholing) all contribute to the development of policy across my £66 million portfolio. Whether its Dave examining Biomass or our pitiful recycling rates; Lee looking at road signs and visits to our sites or Dan getting to grips with the perilous state of bus services across the city - we are a team. I couldn't be cabinet member for environment and transport without my family's support, the support of professional officers or the support of my team of councillors. Thank you to all.

So, whilst the politicians at Westminster might be thinking of their holidays, I am still #workinghard4U.

Monday took in a meeting of the team of officers and policy team of Councillors to discuss progress on our transition plan. I am confident that you will start to see change in our city over the coming weeks and months; it might be the building of new homes and businesses, roadsigns telling you if works were completed early or not, or even new kerbside recycling opportunities. Its not long until our first 100 days in office!

Tuesday saw me meet with officers of our Trading Standards team. These guys and girls are at the forfront of Fairness in our city. I was bowled over by their attitude to put the bad guys out of business by whatever (legal) means they could. AND I couldn't agree more. We are about fairness and those trying to rip off or endanger our city should take note. Additionally a great result in putting away a loan shark - £62,000 to be recovered through the proceeds of crime act.

Also of note on Tuesday was the work of officers and Councillors in debating the Biomass application. Suffice to say that Helius went away with their tail between their legs and a flea in their ear. A constituent did write to me and ask why I hadn't been present at the meeting - sadly, I couldnt get the time off work, but I was pleased to see that some of my influence had been exerted at the meeting. Just because you cant see something working in broad daylight doesn't mean that it isnt working.

Yellow office. Yellow shirt.
Must be the leader of the Lib Dems!

On Wednesday, my highlight was talking to the Leader of the Liberal Democrat Group in Southampton, Councillor Vinson. It was good to draw on his emence experience as both a former E&T man and as leader of the council. Our discussion on the work of the port was most interesting, especially the section on the work of the ports health teams. It is good to know that we can work cross party without politics getting in the way.

Thursday saw a very positive meeting with our partners at the University of Southampton. Namely they were after support to improve the quality of foot and bicycle pathways in the city. After a very thorough presentation and question and answer session, I was pleased to support this multi-agency work. Its about time we sorted out security issues around Lovers Walk and got some propoer footpaths installed. It'll be a long process, but better to start late than never!

Friday saw me attend a conference hosted by IBM at their laboratories in Hursley. A truly wonderous setting and very impressive - albeit that even IBM couldnt get the tech to work propoerly on one of their powerpoint presentations! The Leader was also in attendance and gave an inspiring presentation on developing the green economy within Southampton - real formed ideas with a realistic plan behind it. Roll on municipalisation of our growth! More anon and in plainer english. My only complaint being that as Richard had to rush to another meeting I had to deputise during the question time session - sharing a platform with the Leader of Portsmouth City Council and two other chaps from IBM who each had TWO doctorates each. ha ha. You have to laugh as I was thrown in at the deep end. Sink or swim - and happy to say that I managed not to embarass myself infront of 100 very important peeps.

A very readable update on the cruise wars!?!
Did they mean shirk?

Last but not least, one of the meetings I will be looking forward to next week has been on the horizon for some time. It is the first meeting of Southampton's Bus Task Force to be chaired by the Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport. Now, lets have some serious conversations with our bus partners.

Have to go - the washing is out and its just started raining again. I'll never get the grass cut at this rate!

No comments:

Post a Comment