My promise to you

I will LISTEN to your concerns and thoughts; I will LEARN from you and what you have to say; I will ACT on your behalf.

Sunday 20 May 2012

It is starting to sink in...slowly

After a gap of 12 days, on Wednesday Southampton city Council turned from a Conservative to a Labour Administration. It was the first time this century for such an occaision and the first time for 28 years that we have followed a Tory Council. Suffice to say that on Wednesday, there were butterflys a plenty.

A quick candid shot before entering our first meeting as a cabinet proper

Over the past few days I have been getting used to my new working routine and creating that balance. Thankfully my family are understanding, but on occaision I do get held up at the Civic - it can mean missing bathtime with my little one...but life is about sacrifices as I am learning; sacrifices as the main breadwinner, as a father, a councilllor and now a cabinet member. We do these things because we care.

Councillor Burke in his Sherrifs outfit before becoming the 790th Mayor

Sometimes saying that you care is not enough. Over the past few days we have been accused by leading Tory members of having "secret meetings for months with officers". I can say hand on heart that I have not had any meetings with officers in Environment and Transport prior to my elevation to portfolio holder after the election. I have worked as an officer in many local authorities and I know how difficult it can be during a change of political control - and I don't play those games. So for example when the Conservatives still wanted to meet in the council chamber even though we had 30 plus attendees, to there 16 or so,  for our group meeting on the same night (last monday), I did not cause a fuss. I did not put officers in the middle of what could've been a petty dispute. If they wouldnt offer to move then we will make a sacrifice for one evening. We're different to them.

Just an example of an average Monday: full days work at the Constabulary; get to the Civic Centre for meetings; home for an hour to see my wife and little 'un; back our for a pre-group meeting; followed by the main group meeting; leave the Centre at a quarter to ten; home by just gone ten to say hello to my wife and prepare to go to bed for another early start.

Some old and new faces chomping at the bit to get into the Guildhall

So to say its busy is an understatement. As I said on Wednesday we were accused of plotting with officers and having secret meetings. Some officers have been willing to meet with us in the period between election and formally being able to make decisions. Some officers have been curiously obstructive...my hope is that it is just an over zealous application of guidance rather than anything more sinister. Of the officers I have met so far, they have been professional, enthusiastic and forward looking. What did make me laugh is that they also shared some concerns about the media; namely that they felt there hands were tied when misquotes were reported and they felt unable or indeed what was the point in correcting the information - they were open and honest enough to have the truth available if the media wanted it. I guess our relationship with the media will continue to develop over time.

Wednesday was my first full council meeting as a cabinet member. It was a real eye opener and the realisation was sharply brought into focus; no longer was I sat on the back benches able to feel safe and slightly removed from the firing line into direct line of sight for the front five of the new opposition. You could tell that they were hurting; they had been decimated in the chamber - although not all opposition councillors were able to stay awake for the whole meeting - welcome back councillor. Apart from those resting their eyes to concentrate, I can say that we were a little slower off the mark - perhaps trying to get used to not being the opposition. It was new for a lot of people in the chamber and what they hoped to achieve, what they felt they achieved and in the cold light of day they did achieve were markedly different.


The chamber looks a lot bigger from the front row!

Although we were slow to start our new Councillor for Millbrook gave her maiden speech (very well written) and I did not crumble under intense questioning; I am still waiting for the threat to become real, "some people are going to have some scores settled, as they have crossed the line". However on a day when both sides set out to be professional and not personal, the lowest comment for me was from the Leader of the opposition group who stated that "Councillor Thorpe says the first thing that comes into his head". Well aren't you the big man for saying that! Even though insults were traded, what was crucial is that we won all of the votes and that we have started to make headway on our programme of change.

I have already tasked senior officers in my portfolio with a copy of our transition plan; all councillors have been sent a link to our manifesto; and work has begun on investigating the closure and changes of a number of routes across the city - I have a meeting shortly with the bus companys. In addition I was able to approve our councils application to the Government for financial support in making positive changes to our recycling. A review of our declining recycling rates begins and planning for bringing in of glass recycling commences. As i said at full council, the Tories had 5 years to bring this in. They did not. Times are a changing.

1 comment:

  1. Cllr David Furnell20 May 2012 at 20:15

    Good picture of the back of my head.

    Poor old Royston. In his dream he is sitting in the Commons harassing Ed Milliband and the Labour front bench or winning another turn as council leader. Unfortunately for him and fortunately for the city of Southampton he has to shout insults at you and the rest of us. Why is he still there I thought the Tories were ruthless to failed politicians.

    ReplyDelete