My promise to you

I will LISTEN to your concerns and thoughts; I will LEARN from you and what you have to say; I will ACT on your behalf.

Sunday 29 May 2011

Having a rest?

Good morning, and time for this week’s update. A few constituents have said that because the school holidays are coming up that things must be very quiet for me. I can honestly say that between the meetings, the casework and attending Labour Party events it’s never quiet.

I am getting to grips with casework and am starting to get some useful answers on behalf of those who have contacted me. It can take time, but with perseverance we can get officers and other organisations to change what they’re doing or why they’re doing it. Hats off the Councillor Furnell this week, who with some excellent deputations from residents of Edward and Henry Road, had a number of changes to a planning application approved on Tuesday. This was a campaign by the residents, supported by Councillor Furnell. As a community we can come together in Millbrook to make a real difference.

Monday night was a public consultation meeting with Regents Park Community College, discussing the pro’s and con’s of entering into a local learning trust with a number of other schools in the area (Foundary Lane Primary School being the other in ward). Thanks to Councillor Pope for attending these events also and sharing his vast knowledge of co-operatives. The opportunity to ask questions and challenge on behalf of the current and future students, residents of our area and wider Southampton means that I will be submitting my thoughts into this round of consultation.

Tuesday evening was meeting of the Test Branch of the Southampton Labour Party. There were a number of items which we discussed, most of which I can’t share (I hope you understand). We did, as is the case with all our meetings, take a collection, and raised £70 which we felt it appropriate to donate to the Unite Union in support of the workers currently out on strike. I do not believe for one moment that anybody in 2011 likes to go on strike. It is an unsettling, stressful and action of last resort. My hope is that the administration come good on their public proclamations and actually decide to sit down with the unions instead of constantly fanning the flames of anger.

Wednesday was our 20 week scan. Mother and baby, happy and healthy.

Thursday evening was a meeting with Councillor Furnell. We had a bit of a “wash up” session, discussing how the turn of events had panned out. The overall conclusion was that it had been blinking marvellous, although there were a number of hard lessons to learn. We have come up with a list of objectives and tasks which we are starting on immediately, on your behalf. We have worked hard for a number of months, and now we hope to build on our hard work by keeping up the effort, but also becoming more visible in the ward, in the council and in the media.

Yesterday I was mending the fencing in my back garden with my brother and Father-in-law. Today I shall mostly be finishing that off. Tomorrow more chores, before I go back to work on Tuesday for a rest...

No comments:

Post a Comment