My promise to you

I will LISTEN to your concerns and thoughts; I will LEARN from you and what you have to say; I will ACT on your behalf.

Thursday 19 May 2011

First Committee!

Good afternoon - quick update. Wednesday was my first council meeting sat as your councillor. As some of you may know I was a council officer in East London and so this was very surreal to be sat in the council chamber as your representative.

I have been asked to sit on the Health Scrutiny Panel for the party. This means that I will be a part of a committee dedicated to scrutinising health decisions made which affect the people of Southampton. It doesnt help that the ruling administration have cut the finance to this valuable work, but we will endeavour to do our best.

Additionally, yesterday evening I was invited to attend a public consultation on the possibility of setting up a Regent Park Schools Trust, with a number of schools in Millbrook and the surrounding area. It is a very interesting proposal and shows the imagination and professional ability of the staff who lead our local schools. I await the finer detail of the proposals, but as ever asked challenging questions on your behalf. Also in attendance was Councillor Pope of Redbridge ward, which was a clear demonstration of how seriously us "newbies" are taking our community responsibilities. Meanwhile, Councillor Furnell (an oldie by comparison with a year under his belt) was in attendance at the Maybush Residents Association.

As I always knew, its not just a case of attending my first committee!

No comments:

Post a Comment