My promise to you

I will LISTEN to your concerns and thoughts; I will LEARN from you and what you have to say; I will ACT on your behalf.

Saturday 5 March 2011

Birthday Evening Update

It’s been a gruelling few weeks balancing the demands of a tense time at work, continuing campaigning on the telephone and on the doorstep all whilst trying to spend some time at home with my supportive wife and rescue dog, Tippy.

Today was my first break in campaigning since before November. This was my first Saturday off this year! I was under strict orders to spend some time with my family and enjoy my 30th birthday. I had a great time celebrating the 75th anniversary of the spitfires’ first flight and a number of other old time aeroplanes.

However, as I sit here on the evening of my birthday, I can’t help but feel that although I have had an enjoyable day, there are countless individuals across the city who may have also celebrated their birthday, but in not such happy surroundings.

My wife and I work hard for a living. I work for the Constabulary and my wife for the NHS as a Community Nurse. Things are tight. Costs are high. But we are managing to pull our belts in and cut costs here and there. However, there are those in Southampton who can’t afford the basics in life.

We can argue about who or why the country is in the financial mess it’s in. My comment would be that it doesn’t have to be like this. It’s too fast and too soon. Frankly, it’s just not fair on some people. Today as I watched a spitfire crossing overhead, I wondered just how many veterans are facing a life in poverty - after owing so much to so few...

The Conservatives in Southampton City Council were worried about making cuts and getting a budget passed. I was disgusted with some of their choices, but what really offended me was that a number of them were smiling after the decision was made. Smiling?!?!? I wonder if they slept well that night. I know my conscience wouldn’t let me.

Alas I digress. The reason for me writing was that I felt guilty that I'd had a great day when some of our vulnerable and elderly in Southampton face rising costs. The provision of Meals on Wheels is something which I believe that we all should agree on. Aiding those hard working individuals, who in most cases don’t even ask for help, is something which is the right thing to do. To raise the cost of their hot meals from
£3.47 to £4.78 is UNFORGIVABLE. This will affect an estimated 600 people across the city. Nine out of ten are pensioners.

A quick comparison with other councils suggested costs: Southampton £4.78, Portsmouth £3.40, Eastleigh £3.00, Test Valley £2.30, Fareham £2.80, Isle of Wight £3.10.

So...it’s off to bed to wake up early tomorrow, bright, refreshed and ready to TAKE MY CITY BACK!

No comments:

Post a Comment