My promise to you

I will LISTEN to your concerns and thoughts; I will LEARN from you and what you have to say; I will ACT on your behalf.

Thursday 10 March 2011

Power Station or Not to Power Station (not much of a question)

Good evening. I just wanted to attach the text of a speech I gave at this evenings No to Southampton Biomass community organised meeting:

The picture taken from this evenings Daily Echo,
showing a mock up of the view from Foundary Lane.
"First can I say thank you for inviting me along this evening, and be given the opportunity to address you.

I speak to you this evening not as the labour party candidate for Millbrook, but as a concerned local resident who lives within the shadow of the proposed scheme.

I don't ever miss the opportunity to talk to the people of Millbrook…when I'm out walking the dog, shopping in Tesco's or popping into the Wellington for a pint.

People have told me how worried they are about the lack of details coming forward. I am concerned about the lack of readable information coming from the developers; I am worried about the lack of information from the national Infrastructure Planning Commission based in Bristol; and I am dismayed at the silence coming from the Civic Centre.

My fear is that central government will make these decisions without ensuring that, we the residents of Millbrook are able to challenge having such an industry based at the bottom of our garden. If it is being forced through, where are our benefits? Where are our long term jobs? Our discounted energy? Our good health? Our pollution free air?

I am listening to the residents of Millbrook and I am concerned. On the doorstep, people are afraid that they are being put at risk because there hasn’t been the chance to actively engage with Helios in a Public Forum - I am talking about a formal question and answer session where we can hold the Tory run council and developers to account.

I am informed that our conservative controlled council has been in talks with Helios for months. I must have missed the leaflet in the post asking for my opinion. A bit like I missed the leaflet from Helios first time around.

Reducing our dependence on fossil fuels is something we all want to see happen. Protecting our environment for the future, the generation of new jobs to the area, and developing science are all potential positives to embrace. But there are so many unanswered questions…taking the lead from your own website, the issue for me is that currently I'm not sure if it is well planned, environmentally beneficial or appropriate for our area.

Helios acknowledge that this is a development within a high risk flood area, An air quality management area (AQMA, too many cars, not enough clean air!) and within reach of a number of national and internationally designed conservation sites.

I want to know, where are our answers? We didn’t get them after the first public consultation. We await the second. The decisions taken over the next few weeks are going to be monumental for us. This will be a legacy for the next half a century. Is this right for us here tonight? Is this right for us residents of Millbrook? Importantly it has to be right for the generations of the future..."

The meeting was well attended by around 200 local residents and a number of conservative councillors (none of which actually live in the area - unless you count Bassett as local!!!). It was a shame that the meeting became politicised as I was proud to be sitting amongst the community of Millbrook rather than a political rally, which is what I fear it became after a number of comments from the sitting conservative councillor.

This is a community issue. I said at the start of my candidacy that I would listen, learn and act on your behalf. Tonight you showed the council that they aren’t listening hard enough. The conservative run council should’ve been brave enough to deal with this issue before it became a problem. Now we must take on the Con-Dem government and get them to listen to our concerns.

4 comments:

  1. I find it genuinely sad you feel the need to pander to the NIMBY crowd on this issue. You say there are lots of unaswered question and then fail to provide any and yet as you say the advantages are multiple and obvious.

    I expect leadership from my politicans and am disapointed as a leading labour party figure in the city you feel unable to provide it on this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The view of the plans I've seen puts a power station less than 200 metres from a home. This is moraaly reprehensable.

    This power station has no benefit to the people of Millbrook, to the people who will live in its shadow. I strongly believe that green power is the future, but that these plans are not green nor sustainable nor thought through.

    But like much of the conservatives plans, IT DOESNT HAVE TO BE LIKE THIS!

    I will be lobbying the conservative controlled council to stop these plans from going through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take Mr Shaw David Green that you might not live in this area.You sound like the joker who thinks that we should take the balanced view on this project on the Echo website, this is the easy thing to do when it is NIYBY.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous,

    I live nearby to Millbrook but I hold an allotment in Millbrook and have a general attachment to the area.

    My reasons for supporting the development are as follows

    - It will create jobs, both in the construction of the plant and it's subsequent operation. It will also help safeguard further jobs in the docks and the city more generally. The people of millbrook need employment, the Council are shedding jobs, the police are shedding jobs, and this development *will* create real meaningful and skilled long term employment.

    - The elderly need us to create a sustainable future without reliance on fossil fuels. I have seen first hand the gut wrenching decisions the elderly in our community have to make often between eating properly and heating their home due to our current over reliance on fossil fuels and the price speculations that accompany this marketplace. This development *will* help alleviate southampton's dependence on expensive fossil fuel based energy supply.

    - Globally the use of fossil fuels and accompanying increase in C02 is causing global warming and this will hit the poorest societies around the world as these tend to be those that live on cheap land lacking in flood protection.

    We as a developed nation owe it to those less fortunate than ourselves to do our bit to help mitigate the worse excesses of global warming and protect those living in vulnerable areas from the mass migration and extremes of poverty that will inevitably follow from significant climate change.

    I appreciate that allowing the building of such a significant development causes fear and concern amongst local residents. I fully expect Helios and the council to attempt to mitigate the disturbance caused and I believe that is the purpose of the ongoing consultation.

    I accept however for the reasons outlined above the need for the development in general terms and the availability of the port as an avenue for importing some of the fuel source to minimise road based transport seems to justify the location of the facility. The inconvienience of the facility is outweighed in my eyes by the employment opportunities and the potential for provision of energy at realistic prices.

    ReplyDelete