My promise to you

I will LISTEN to your concerns and thoughts; I will LEARN from you and what you have to say; I will ACT on your behalf.

Sunday 16 January 2011

Weekend Update

Good morning! Just a quick update to let you know a little about my weeks activites. On Tuesday evening I spent a few hours telephone canvassing or those in Cumbrian Way and Pennine Road. The response was really positive from electors, with not many Liberal Democrats coming forward. Issue of the session was anger around allotments and the rumour of critical cuts by the Tory Council. We're currently working up some policy ideas to protect this important community resource.

On Wednesday evening, I met up with a number of members and councillors to discuss a programme for change. As I've promised, I will LEARN, LISTEN and ACT. From the feedback from the frontdoor and the telephone, we have been developing a viable alternative to the Tory proposals. In a few weeks, I will be reporting back to another policy forum on my draft of our consultation commitments. Its a real honour to lead the development of our policy in this area and one in which I will make sure that the vulnerable and the everyday man gets heard. Something which the people of Millbrook would appreciate at this difficult time.

Talking yesterday, out and about in Quantock and Cheviot Road, the majority of voters were angry at the Tory-led Government. There was a singular conservative voter who did accuse me of not knowing how difficult life was at the moment. I did respond making two points: firstly, the legacy of the economy wasnt the fault of the previous Labour Government, but we should take responsibility more than we have - you can't say that they caused the global crisis e.g. Japan, greece, Ireland, France, Germany, Italy, USA. However, my second point was the one that had real resonance with him - I work in the public sector; my employers have cut many jobs; my job is going through not one but two reviews. We came to an agreement, maybe it was time for a change. A new politician. A 29 year old from Millbrook.

So, this brings me to todays jobs! I'll be going out in an hour or so to try to finish the last of our leaflets. We have about 6000 addresses to deliver to in our ward, thinking we had put the vast majority out, but I keep finding bags of these things to put out. So, if you live in or around King Georges Avenue, keep a look out and feel free to stop me if you fancy a chat.

Heres hoping it doesnt rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment