My promise to you

I will LISTEN to your concerns and thoughts; I will LEARN from you and what you have to say; I will ACT on your behalf.

Sunday 9 January 2011

I'm cross!

What a great weekend of leafletting! myself and Councillor Furnell (with a considerable amount of help from friends and members) have almost finished putting out 6000 leaflets across Millbrook. It can be difficult for people to appreciate just how much good will goes into making sure that our message gets through each and every letterbox in the ward. Our volunteers arent paid, dont get any perks for doing this and sometimes even get shouted at! All in the spitrit of democracy, eh?

Anyway, I wasnt writing today to say I was cross about the tremendous effort in leafletting over the past weeks - no rather a story I read on the BBC news website:

The Glasgow Pavilion theatre's annual pantomime has been found to be in violation of the Geneva Convention. But it isn't the gags of risqué star Jim Davidson which saw The Magical Adventures of Robin Hood fall foul of a legal statute more commonly associated with war crimes.

Rather that the red crosses sewn on to the costume of one character, Nurse Poltis, were an unauthorised use of an emblem declared sacrosanct by the convention. A British Red Cross spokesman said: "We have no desire to be the villains of the pantomime or to appear heavy-handed, but... the emblem is a special sign of neutrality and protection, recognised by all sides during armed conflicts. Misuse of that emblem – even when done in an innocent and light-hearted manner – has to be addressed. Repeated and widespread misuse of the Red Cross emblem could dilute its neutrality and its ability to protect."

The organisation confirmed it had protested to Pavilion management over the use of the symbol and the offending costume will instead now feature green crosses.

Is it me or should common sense have prevailed on this issue? It seems to me that perhaps the Red Cross should be concentrating on more pressing issues of conflicts overseas or the floods in Australia or the recent cold weather and its effect on the vulnerable in Britain? No. Apparently its a pantomime dame. Thats the priority.

1 comment:

  1. Having read your post,I to am cross this is the world gone mad. My husband has a Red Cross tattoo as he was a Navy Medic!! how does that fit with this. May be I will have to have his arm removed.

    ReplyDelete