My promise to you

I will LISTEN to your concerns and thoughts; I will LEARN from you and what you have to say; I will ACT on your behalf.

Monday 1 April 2013

It's no April Fools

Starting on a positive note, I have had a really enjoyable weekend. For the first time in three years I have spent the Easter weekend with my family. I have not delivered a single leaflet or knocked a single front door. I hope you don't think less of me because I have really enjoyed having a break from politics for the past few days.

That's not to say that the weekend has been devoid of issues; Good Friday is always a fun time to be receiving phone calls from the local newspaper. I don't know why, but it does always seem to be confrontational and always with the word chaos in the headline. Like anything, I think overusing a term can devalue its impact.

Criticisms this week have included the chaos on the roads. I appreciate that if there are lessons to be learnt that we as a Council will learn them. However, there is never a good time to have road works and if you've driven around the Redbridge Roundabout (as I do almost each and every day) you'll notice that it has needed a bit of work for some time now.

As your local councillor, I am always happy to take those decisions which others have put off for a rainy day. Well, in 2013, at Southampton City Council, it is raining. But we are making progress on turning the ship around, rather than just cut cut cut, ready for wholesale privatisation of services.

Other areas for criticism, which I did mention last week was in the area of Green Waste. Not everyone agrees with the difficult decision to charge for this non-statutory service. Some have claimed that I lied to the Department of Communities and Local Government; strange as we're being hailed as good practice...If something is a good idea, I don't care which political party came up with the idea, I'll use it. It's a shame that our local opposition parties seem to only be interested in clinging on to political dogma. On the upside, 5000 people have now signed up to the service; making it financially viable going forward. Thank you to everyone who has stuck their hand in their pocket to pay for this service.

Last weeks highlights include:

*Attending the Corporate Parenting Committee as a Cabinet Member. Taking my social services commitments seriously and challenging officers and colleagues on actions in safeguarding our young adults. I hope its refreshing as I can come across as being difficult in these meetings, but I like to think that I'm flying the flag for common sense!

*Invited two officers into the Civic Centre to say thank you for their hard work on training for young people in using transport independently. And yes, I did but them some Easter eggs out of my own pocket.

*One of my neighbouring ward colleagues, Councillor Whitbread, called for an urgent meeting to discuss the bus issues in Millbrook; which I chaired on behalf of those present. Suffice to say that conversations were honest, illuminating and productive. A five point plan is being put in place. The most important thing to realise is that we are all powerless to act unless the community comes forward with names and are willing to back that up with a statement.


And so to toady. My last day of my minibreak (at home) and I'm waiting for the April Fools Jokes to come in on twitter. Maybe the government will say that the tax breaks for millionaires was really just a big wheeze and they're not bringing it in? Or maybe the Bedroom tax for social tenants is a poorly timed joke. Yes there are people in society who take us all for a ride. Yes we need to target them. But as so many are already failing to cope, is now the time to tax all at the bottom end of the scale for having a spare room - knowing that there aren't enough council homes to move them into to downsize? Maybe the punch line comes later?



No comments:

Post a Comment