My promise to you

I will LISTEN to your concerns and thoughts; I will LEARN from you and what you have to say; I will ACT on your behalf.

Sunday 24 March 2013

The Social Media Experiment

This week I thought I'd let you in on a day in the life of a Southampton City Councillor; or more precisely, exactly what I got up to last Wednesday.

This is my life in 24 tweets...


I was up early for my first meeting of the day. Yes, that's right. My first meeting began at half six in the morning.


Went on a tour of the city centre and in particular Carlton Crescent (so I could have a look at the Conservation Zone) and Bellevue Road (due to some casework raised by Councillors).

This was me leaving the depot on my return just after 8:15am.


Not before I went and had a quick look at some of the work put in place for Marchwood Road. Much tidier! Well done officers! Whilst having a quick walk about, came up with some good ideas on change for the bottom of Foundry Lane to complement the new bin I've had placed there.


On the way back home for brekkie and a quick change of clothes, I spotted this soon to be extinct creature...


Drove into the Civic Centre to have a quick briefing with Officers before joining up with the Leader, Councillor Richard Williams and Norman Baker MP (also a Junior Transport Minister for the Government and a man who has given our Council a fair few pounds recently). Took him to see one of our projects to get young people back into training and jobs with the aid of a new bus pass scheme.
 
 
Time for a quick interview on Sustainable Travel, whilst the minister unveils the official opening of Real Time Information across the city on our bus stops.
 
 
It would've been remiss of me not to use the free-wifi to post a message!

 
Don't think this post needs any commentary really...
 



Using the free wifi on the bus, we were able to demonstrate a number of our new systems including the aforementioned Real Time Information and our new www.myjourneysouthampton.com website.


After we said goodbye to the minister, it was back to the Civic for more preparation.




Something new for this year was the ability for Councillors to be able to use their phones whilst the debates were going on. Although you have to pick appropriate times in the Chamber, you can do some good whilst the politics swirls around you.






Some people just don't have a sense of humour.




We had two breaks during this meeting which is unusual, but this was because one Councillor had just come out of hospital.

They really didn't like me doing that...


A number of Councillors were invited to a meeting in Maybush to discuss the relocation of Police Staff - but it clashed with Full Council. Didn't think we'd make it out in time.

 
That was the third evening out of four in the week in which I was out doing politics.



It wasn't quite over. Quick discussion based on the city's art collection. You can only flog them once remember!


Quick chat after council. And no I didn't get Man of the Match this meeting!

 
A mere 15 hours after leaving for my first meeting of the day, I walked back in through my front door.

Have a good week. I know I can't wait for a long weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Cllr Dave Furnell24 March 2013 at 21:44

    Steve Plumridge claims he does more work than me and you put together. He must work 15 days per week.

    Good post Asa puts everything into perspective about what we do.

    ReplyDelete