My promise to you

I will LISTEN to your concerns and thoughts; I will LEARN from you and what you have to say; I will ACT on your behalf.

Sunday 30 October 2011

What a difference a day makes!

As you'll no doubt be aware, my and my wifes lives changed unbelieveably just over two weeks ago. I don't think I was really prepared for the physical challenge that parenthood brings! However, we have a great team behind us and having someone help with the washing or hoovering is an absolute godsend.

You'll be pleased to know that my paternal break from work and politics ended last week and I am getting back up to speed with the real world outside of my front door. Big thanks must go to my colleagues within the local party who have been so supportive, with special mention to fellow Millbrook Councillor Dave Furnell, who has been covering in my absence.

Yesterday Team Millbrook were out and about in Regents Park hand delivering leaflets on behalf of our MP Alan Whitehead. During these fiscally challenging times, I do still wonder how other partys can afford to pay for their to be delivered by someone else, but...it was a lovely day - one of those crisp autumnal jobbies - and as we've beeing door knocking since June, I was nice to deliver some leaflets again! Variety and all that.

Lastly, in the past few days I was made aware of a letter going out in the Henry and Edward Roads, just off Foundary Lane. In short the new Conservative candidate was blaming Labour for issues around parking and over development in the area. In response:
  • Any issues of planning are taken before the planning committee - one which is controlled by the Conservatives...who have the numbers to make whatever decision they see fit...subject to taking into account all relevant planning considerations of course.
  • Councillor Furnell worked extremely hard on getting the original Hendy Ford development plans changed;
  • The plans were changed no less than 3 times because of Labours intervention; including the removal of a footpath from Shirley High Street into Henry & Edward;
  • The Conservative Councillor for the area decided not to attend the Committee meeting;
  • No less than 3 separate hand delivered letters went out to residents, specifically on this development issue in Henry and Edward Road; 
  • Countless emails to concerned residents;
  • And continuing representation made to the committee on the new developments taking place on the Bald Face Stag site.
So...if its action on issues you want, then get in contact with team Millbrook. If you want a nice headed letter coming months later, after the decisions have been taken, then I think you know the alternative. They're good at writing letters and talking to the media. Lets see them knocking doors and actually solving problems, not just blaming others.

So thats my first real blog back as a new father. Thank you to my friends and family for their continued support - opposition partys had better watch out. I'm a man with a mission to change Southampton for the better, as a concerned citizen, as a husband and now as a father. What a difference a day makes!

No comments:

Post a Comment