My promise to you

I will LISTEN to your concerns and thoughts; I will LEARN from you and what you have to say; I will ACT on your behalf.

Sunday 18 September 2011

This was my week. How was yours?

The week just past was going to be quick a time for meetings are pressures at work. As it turned out my body decided to be ill for Sunday evening, Monday and Tuesday. As such, I have reacquainted myself with daytime television and the sofa / duvet combo. Quite ironic really as I was the one supposed to be looking after my wife at the moment!

As such, due to my incapacity I missed both our Labour Group meeting of Councillors on Monday evening, of which I am the secretary - at least the minutes and agenda were sent out earlier in the week. This also meant that I also missed the police consultation and discussion meeting on Tuesday evening, but I am pleased to note that Southampton Labour were ably represented by our Deputy Leader, and Head of the Police Authority, Jacqui Rayment.

So on Wednesday morning, after most of the hot and cold shivers, sore throat and snozzy nose has subsided, I dragged myself into full council. I met up with Dave Furnell (our other Millbrook Councillor) to have lunch and catch up with what I'd missed over the previous few days...it turned out Dave thought I was having lunch with him to tell him some scary news! How I laughed!

There were a number of big ticket issues to discuss at full Council, including my own first real contributions. In order to allow me to get to my Sunday morning canvassing (at 10.30am) I will summarise the main issues:

Fluoride: We were presented with a petition calling on the council to reverse the strategic health authority’s decision to put fluoride in the water. The council set out the legal position i.e. the Government can now only stop this action, but still debated the motion and found 2-1 in favour of removing fluoride.

Deaf teaching provision: A heartfelt speech by a parent of and a representative of a national charity for deaf children. A post had been cut from the service, and quite a lot of people had signed a petition forcing the Council to debate the matter. The Tories opposed the motion and we abstained due to a very real confusion over what the exact provision of staff was. A good speech none the less.

Police Commissioners: Funny in itself as the three people who have the most experience of policing in Hampshire had to declare a personal interest and so had to leave the debate. I did have a nice cup of tea in the waiting room though.

Members allowances: It was decided that the report of the independent remuneration committee was noted, and the council decided to maintain levels at the 2009 minimum wage level until 2015.

Questions to the cabinet: I made a number of questions and points to the cabinet, the first of three regarding social worker provision. I maintain that we have more agency staff than a year ago, more vacancies than a year ago and only one member of staff on the much talked of grow your own social worker scheme. Not that I'm having a downer on all workers within social care, but that on 27th July the deputy leader of the Southampton Conservatives stated that "It was not right to put vulnerable people at risk". The three clear facts seem to contradict his statement.

Additionally I raised issues on the fact the Council does not seem to have a handle on understanding why staff leave our employment. But my favourite exchange was with Councillor Royston Smith, who missed the opportunity to improve on the state our potholes across Southampton. Instead he launched into a patronising lecture on the past failings of my party. He didn’t seem to understand that I was elected in May! Suffice to say that the Leader did not want to visit Millbrook to look at the state of our roads and pavements, as he had presided over the largest ever road replacement investment. I'll remember that as the potholes reappear in Oakley Road and Regents Park Road. Big picture stuff is important but so is the elderly constituent who is afraid to go out because she thinks her mobility scooter may tip over.

On Thursday evening, I attended Health Scrutiny Panel at the Civic Centre. The main item for debate was the result of the national consultation on the future of the Children’s Heart Unit at Southampton. In short, there was some considerable amount of hope that the Government will make the right decision as the majority of professionals across the country backed the Southampton Option. In addition, Councillor Payne (Woolston) made a fantastic recommendation that the Chair of the panel contact the Channel Islands to ask for their explicit support in the consultation, given the regular support the General often gives them.

Straight after the Health meeting, I attended the General Committee of Southampton Labour Party. We discussed a number of items and received updates from both of our Southampton MP's. Suffice to say that some of the discussions surrounded the gerrymandering of the Boundary Review options for changes to parliamentary constituencies. Suffice to say that we want the people of Southampton represented by full time Southampton MP's. It wasn’t the only topic for discussion, as we lay further plans for the future, uncover further Conservative financial shenanigans at city hall and relay information to those who weren’t aware that social workers have reluctantly decided to strike.

Yesterday was my wife’s birthday and I spent it with her. That was my week, how was yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment