My promise to you

I will LISTEN to your concerns and thoughts; I will LEARN from you and what you have to say; I will ACT on your behalf.

Sunday 19 August 2012

When worlds collide

This has been a tough old week I can tell you. Politically it has been one of the most intense and that has been combined with a work schedule which has been rediculous. But as has been pointed out to me, these are the things that you put yourself forward for - no one put a gun to your head.

Monday saw my start the day with an update on our Biomass situation. Suffice to say that I have given officers a steer on the way in which the council will need to respond to the formal consultation response from Helius. My fear is that this is a done deal in terms of the long drawn out process and that in reality we should be concentrating on lobbying the Government Ministers who will make the decision. I'm sure that if this was your council making the decision then cross party unity on this issue would've meant it died a death some months ago.

On Monday evening I visited a family who had recently recieved some very bad news. I was not going as a politician, but rather to face up to the individuals concerned and apologise on behalf of the council. The issue has been in the papers over the past week or so, and I find it never conducive to a good relationship to carry out a conversation through the press. An emotional couple of hours, which will lead to a formal response on a number of questions raised by the individuals and myself. I await the officers decisions tomorrow. Sometimes things are no longer political decisions but rather operational, but the wider public don't always understand that. My role then becomes one of scrutiniser - I still have a job to do even if I'm no longer the one making decisions.

Tuesday saw me meet with the General manager of West Quay - one of the main reasons for visitors coming into our city at the moment. My reason for Meeting Mr Collyer was to discuss the problems of smoking and general hygeine in the area immediately around the entrances and exits. It was a frank discussion and I hope to be able to bring forward some new ideas; we want to make sure that as a considerable percentage of shoppers first impression of our city is in exiting West Quay, that it is as good an offer as we can make it.

saw this pinned on the door at the Civic Centre -
it took all my strength not to knock..!

Tuesday afternoon saw me meet with my policy team; Councillors Furnell and Jeffery (apologies sent from Whitbread). A good chance to update everyone on where we were in terms of our three priority areas for review: recycling, roads & structures and parking. Additionally, both Dave and Dan were able to let me know how things were progressing on their areas of business, namely Biomass and the bus review. Those of you who regularly read this blog will know that we PROMISED to restore two bus services on the east of the city. I am hopeful that we will shortly be bringing good news to our bus users in that part of the city.

Wednesday was a full day with the Cabinet discussing where we were, what lessons we'd learnt and most importantly where we were going.

Simon, Warwick & Richard

Matt, Jacqui & John
- Sarah not pictured

The end of the week saw me take in dicussions on Road Safety, Taxi provision within the city and a 5pm meeting on Friday with a student on the role of the port within our city.

Team Labour at the Freemantle Community Centre Open Day
with my wife, daughter and Councillor Shields

And yesterday I attended the Freemantle Community Centre Open Day - along with Labour Councillors from Redbridge (Andy), Millbrook (Dave), Shirley (Satvir) and Freemantle (Dave). Arriving to set up at 09.45, we stayed the distance until 15.00. It was really good to catch up with some familiar faces, make new friends and for Councillor Furnell to have a good chat about wether he thought Margaret Thatcher had been a good Prime Minister!

The line which seems to be played out time and time again by the Tories in Millbrook is that Labour doesnt care.

The Conservative table, circa 1:30pm

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Cllr Dave Furnell19 August 2012 at 21:17

    Councillor Thorpe
    I don't believe you care as much as Steve Galton. According to his leaflet he has continued to work hard for people in Millbrook. In the last three months he has attended a meeting of the police PACT and met some people in Clifton Road with a petition and er thats it. How can Millbrook Labour councillors match his herculean efforts.

    ReplyDelete