My promise to you

I will LISTEN to your concerns and thoughts; I will LEARN from you and what you have to say; I will ACT on your behalf.

Sunday 8 January 2012

Happy New Year!

Good morning!

No I havent left the country or stopped writing my blog - or had it shut down (although one complainant has tried!). If you've been following my twitter updates, you'll know that my internet went down over the festive period. This was quite bad as it mean that I couldnt access the web, print out any documents or update my blog. Suffice to say that the internet has now been fixed, but my landline seems to be playing up. Thanks Sky, thanks Rupert.

My daughter loved her first Christmas and so did my family. We were all thoroughly spoilt, even if there were quite a few grumbles that no one could get on the internet! I hope that you had a good break and got all you wished for. Although I couldnt access the web as much as i wanted, you'll be pleased to know that I was still in touch with the outside world through my phone.

Over the past two weeks I have been dealing with casework - much to the annoyance of my family - I feel that it must be important for a constituent to be calling their elected representative over the festive period, so the least I can do is answer my phone. Issues have included litter from local businesses; rubbish being dumped; Housing matters and also confirming that the disabled parking lines I asked to be repainted had been done so outside Penrith Court - I await to see if they'll get the extra bin I asked officers for!

As I look in my diary for the week ahead, you'll be pleased to see that I am back in to the full swing of campaigning on your behalf. This morning I have a catch up session with Councillor Dave Furnell, before going out to deliver some leaflets with our Millbrook Candidate Georgie Laming. It'll be cold and wet, but worth it to hand deliver our messages to you. nothing like the personal touch! Next week I think I have 4 evening meetings, a full working and a number of meetings to organise and minutes to write up as Labour Group Secretary.

Whilst watching the twitter updates over the past few days, I have seen a number of articles such as "best year ever for schools!". I like to think that a huge number of our public services in our City are achieving truly great results, whether in schools or in care or painting lines on the road. But this is INSPITE of the current local leadership not because of it. Without instilling a sense of panic, it is my duty to remind people of what has been under a current administration, and offer them an alternative. Our manifesto will be published over the coming weeks; it offers a well thought out, costed and different path for the city to take. Also I wrote the first chapter - with collaboration from shadow cabinet members, fellow councillors, members and outside experts. Only 115 days to go to stop all public services in Southampton from being privatised.

I think the best message sent locally was "May 2012 be all you wish for". I must admit that I am looking for ward to May 2012. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment