My promise to you

I will LISTEN to your concerns and thoughts; I will LEARN from you and what you have to say; I will ACT on your behalf.

Sunday 31 July 2011

Zooming Up Percy Road

Sometimes it comes across that people think the life of a Councillor is tea and biscuits all round, with the occaisional meeting, without being in touch with whats going on in the real world.

As you know I am lucky enough to have a new addition to my family coming along in October. My wife is in full nesting swing, and I'm lucky to have a great set of in-laws who are able to help out physically and financially. Its such an exciting time in my personal life.

In my working life - yes I have a full time job outside of politics - things arent going quite so well, with the threat of redundancy hanging thick in the air. Oh yes, I am very much in touch with the real world and the issues that we in Millbrook are facing.

But enough of me and my issues. This week in politics I have been very vocal in the Health Scrutiny Panel: looking at the major health challenges facing our city; abstaining from supporting Southampton University Hospital in their quest for foundation status (concerns over their financial viability and governance arrangements); and with colleagues from the Conservatives raising issues with the closure of wards at the Moorgreen Hospital (travelling and access).

Due to the fact that I had to go to the Health Scrutiny Panel, I wasnt able to go to the monthly Test Branch meeting of the Southampton Labour Party. Three good points from the meeting: a new secretary for the group had been appointed, bringing my reign to an end; it was "the best meeting we'd had in ages" - it was the only one I've missed for some time!!! and the message went out that members in Millbrook would be invited to an upcoming meeting with myself, Councillor Furnell and Alan Whitehead MP. It would be to discuss the challenges of our community and how we can identify future leaders in Millbrook.

On Friday evening, yes Friday evening, I had a good meeting with the Leader of the Southampton Labour Group, Councillor Richard Williams. I am grateful to Richard for giving up his time and giving me the benefit of his experience on everything from career choices to when I should make my maiden speech (probably next month).

On Saturday morning, as you may have read from my twitter update, I was out with a number of colleagues pounding the streets and knocking on doors in Regents Park. it is important for all politicians to make it clear that we are not only about during times of election. I promise you that Labour in Millbrook is active and representing your views all year round, hence taking a group out early on a saturday morning, in the sunshine, in July. It was good to meet voters on the doorstep and enter into engaging discussions with those who wanted to know how we would tackle the Council shortfall. I think that maybe I am unusual as I think it is very important to be visibly out and about in our community, not just opening fetes or going to openings.

Just to sign off, if you have any non-emergency issues for the police, please ring 101. It is a free number which will put you in touch with the police and appropriate services for low level non-emergency problems. I have a formal meeting with the Police coming up on 11th August: 19.00 hours, Toronto Court. If you have any issues, come along or drop me a line so I can raise them on your behalf. I will certainly be raising the issue of motorcyles zooming up Percy Road!

No comments:

Post a Comment