My promise to you

I will LISTEN to your concerns and thoughts; I will LEARN from you and what you have to say; I will ACT on your behalf.

Thursday 25 November 2010

Universally Fair?

I don’t usually watch Daybreak on ITV, but this morning I managed to catch a snippet of our local Havant MP, David Willetts. The Minister of State for Universities and Science was stating that he felt that a small contribution to university costs was fair. I have to admit that a FAIR contribution is right and proper.
However, Mr Willetts doesn’t really seem to have a firm grip on what is fair. I worked 20 hours a week in a job whilst at college and university. I still came out with substantial debts caused by paying for fees and LIVING COSTS. I’m afraid my £10 per day loan just didn’t cover my extravagant costs such as food, heating and rent.
But what really got me angry was his insistence that £9,000  per year was fair. 9% of your earnings taken from you was fair. Free education for those who make these new decisions was fair. Do you ever get the feeling that they’ve run into the castle and pulled up the drawbridge?
So...if David Linsay Willetts wants to push ahead with this reform, will he be backdating this to include his own free education at Christ Church College, Oxford? Or David Cameron’s free education at Oxford or Nick Clegg’s free education at Cambridge University?
Didn’t think so.
I guess I’ll just be happy that I pay record levels of pension contributions, record mortgages (with northern rock) and pay back my student fees. Aren’t we lucky to live in such a FAIR society.

2 comments:

  1. Can I just ask a question?

    Which government was in power when you were at University? I only ask as you refer to the substantial debts you accrued. My memory may be a bit hazy, but which government scrapped free University education in the first place and introduced tuition fees? Which party's policies caused you to be in that situation? You don't make it clear in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your post floating voter - you're the first!

    The point I was trying to make was not that university education should neccessarily be free. Indeed I believe that if you have had the opportunities and are good enough to go to university, you should be able to go. As such you should make a significant contribution to that cost.

    However, I think there is a difference in the benefit to society between someone who goes on to become a teacher or an investment banker.

    The point of issue for me is the question - is it fair? Are £9000 a year fees fair? Elimination of Education Maintenance Allowance, fair?

    I have benefitted from university education. I paid for my education. But at least I could afford my education. £30,000 just isnt fair.

    ReplyDelete